Tuesday, May 22, 2012

So, That's How You Cook A Leek

Never having tried leeks, I set out to try cooking them in hopes that they are something delicious that I have just been missing out on. After purchasing them along with acorn squash I asked friends for their recipes for leeks. What I got mostly were blank looks and even a few "Whats a leek?" comments, so I went to the web for my recipe. You won't believe the amount of recipes for leeks! I never knew! Everything from soups to dips and more! Wow and then I had to choose! All those wonderful things and I had to choose which one I wanted to make. The easy decision of course was to go with a recipe that called for what I had at home so as to not make another trip to the store. There is a local fresh vegetable and fruit stand within five minutes from my home, so I was willing to go there.
So I chose Quinoa With Kumquats and Leeks... and here is the recipe I used (I added a few of my own ingredients changing the recipe I found a bit, but I must say it turned out wonderful!

Ingredients
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 leek, thinly sliced
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
8 kumquats, thinly sliced
salt to taste
dash of black pepper
1 cup quinoa
2 cups of chicken stock (or just water if you are vegetarian)

Directions
Over medium heat add olive oil to skillet, cook and stir your leek, kumquats along with the garlic until all of it is brown and add the salt and pepper.
Next cook your quinoa and stir it into the kumquat/leek mixture for about a minute.
Add the chicken stock to the skillet and stir occasionally till it boils then reduce the heat for about 20 minutes, or until the liquid has absorbed. Then enjoy! I would guess this goes great with a vegetarian meal or even with fish!

I liked them so much I made them with mushrooms and hominy, seasoned with fresh cilantro, sea salt and pepper.  These wonderful flavors mixed together were delightful!






No comments:

Post a Comment